The Mylio Photos+ Photo DeDupe tool helps clean up unwanted duplicate photos from your media library. It starts by scanning your entire Mylio Photos Library and will generate a list of files where it detects two or more copies of the same media.
How does Photo DeDupe work?
When you invoke Photo DeDupe, Mylio Photos+ uses existing information in your catalog to quickly identify specific criteria and determine if files are unique. If any of the following conditions are met, Mylio Photos will mark it as a duplicate:
- Exact files that are the same size and resolution
- Exact files that are the same name but in a different folder
- Exact files that match but have different names
- Exact files that match but have different metadata
It is important to note that Mylio Photos+ will only detect exact matches. For instance, different sizes, resolutions, or visually similar images, such as a burst of nearly identical shots, will not be marked as duplicates.
The Photo DeDupe tool allows you to merge metadata when removing or deleting duplicates. When Delete Checked or Move Checked is clicked, you can Merge moved image metadata into the remaining duplicate file(s). This allows you to retain important information you may have added about your photos, such as IPTC copyright, keywords, title, caption, and more.
When a photo set has conflicting metadata, each metadata field with information will be listed next to each version of the photo. When an image is marked as Checked for removal or deletion, all metadata fields present on that file and missing on the remaining image will be shown next to the remaining image, highlighted in yellow, allowing you to preview the merged metadata result.
Some metadata fields can hold a single value, such as a Title, while others can have multiple values, such as keywords.
- If both versions of an image have a title, Mylio Photos+ will prioritize the information based on your Photo Prioritization preferences. All fields capable of holding a single value will follow this logic.
- If both versions of an image have different keywords, Mylio Photos+ will combine the keywords from the version being removed or deleted with the keywords on the remaining image. All fields capable of holding multiple values will follow this logic.